Santa Marta, is privileged to have the highest coastal mountain in the world, this majestic mountain range with its snowy cusp is the epicenter of and unique ecosystems in the world, framed by a virgin and exuberant nature, recognized among the most beautiful in the world.
There the group will have the opportunity to generate a connection with nature; additionally, in this kind of activities, the conservation of natural environments is promoted, as well as the native fauna and flora.
Name of the Tour: Endemic Birds of Colombia
Period: 10 Days
- Cundinamarca: Humedal la Florida, La Calera, Chicaque Natural park.
- Guajira: Riohacha, Camarones, Guajira dry forest.
- Magdalena: Tayronaka, Minca, El dorado, Cuchilla de San Lorenzo.
- Atlantico: Isla Salamanca Park.
- Day 1 - La Florida Wetland
- Day 2 - Visit La Calera
- Day 3 - Camarones and La Guajira Dry Forest Visit
- Day 4 - Tayronaka-Minca
- Day 5 - Las Cabañas - El Dorado
- Day 6 - Cuchilla de San Lorenzo
- Day 7 - Go Back to Santa Marta
- Day 8 - Via Parque Isla Salamanca and Go Back to Bogota
We will pick up the group in the Dorado National airport by the agency logistics staff and they will be transferred at the hotel to leave their luggage and continue to our first destination where we hope to find the first surprises for the group, it is the first group of special birds of the Cundiboyacense highlands, so we choose La Florida wetland that has good infrastructure and is a nice and safe place, the wetland La Florida is an important body of water that is part of the Bogotá wetland, has a wide variety of flora and fauna where relicts have been identified that provide food and shelter to more than 40 species of birds, some of which are endemic (Exclusive to a specific country or region) and a significant number of migratory birds. To facilitate the sighting of birds, a special platform was built that will surely help us obtain the best records. This wetland is located to 20 minutes from the airport on the northwestern.
With our specialized guides you will find endemic birds as:
- Bogotá Rail (Rallus semiplumbeus)–E
- Apolinar´s Wren (Cistothorus apolinari)-E
- Silvery-throated Spinetail (Synallaxis subpudica)-E
Other almost endemic such as:
- Rufous-browed Conebill (Conirostrum rufum) CE
- Grey-rumped Tapaculo (Scytalopus griseicollis) CE
- Spot-flanked Gallinule (Gallinula melanops) R.
- Cistothorus apolinari
This activity will be about 4 hours in length it depends of the weather conditions. In the afternoon They will go back to the hotel then dinner and rest.
- Hotel Whyndam Garden
- Hotel Movich
The breakfast will be at 6:00 am then we´ll go to the Observatory of Hummingbirds in La Calera located at an altitude of 3000 meters, in this special place people will be able to appreciate and enjoy the birds group which by hundreds of years have fascinated to ecologists and naturalist. Also, people will find birdbaths where it is possible to observe almost endemic birds and other kind of hummingbirds which are difficult to find in their natural habitat. After lunch, the group will travel to the airport to take their flight to Riohacha and the hosting will be at Barbacoa Hotel.
The birds of the day are:
- Coopery-bellied Puffleg (Eriocnemis cupreoventris)- CE
- Blue-throated Starfrontlet (Coeligena helianthea)- CE
- Glowing Puffleg (Eriocnemis vestita)- R
- Sword-billed Hummingbird (Ensifera ensifera)- R
- Black-tailed Trainbearer (Lesbia victoriae)- R
- Green-tailed Trainbearer (Lesbia nuna)
- Great Sappirewing Hummingbird (Pterophanes cyanopterus)- R
- Tyrian Metaltail (Metallura tyrianthina)- R
- Colegina helianthea
After the breakfast we will depart to Camarones, a beautiful coastal town where is located Los Flamencos Sanctuary, over there we will visit the extensive water mirrors where many shorebirds and the famous American Flamingos are concentrated, we will also visit some trails of dry forest to look for very special birds such as el Cardinal Guajiro. In the afternoon we will go to the Tayronaka hotel to visit the area the next day. From the main road we will take a boat to get at the hotel, in this route we will be observing birds on the edge of forests that are very well preserved.
The targets of the day are:
- American Flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber)- R
- Vermilion Cardinal (Cardinalis phoeniceus)- CE
- Orinoco Saltator(Saltator orenocensis)- CE
- Red-billed Hummingbird (Chlorostilbon gibsoni) CE
- Chestnut Piculet (Picumnus cinnamomeus) CE
- Tocuyo Sparrow (Arremonops tocuyensis) CE
- White-wiskered Spinetail (Synallaxis candei) CE
- Slender-billed Inezia (Inezia tenuirostris) CE
- Buffy Hummingbird (Leucippus fallax) R
- Glaucus Tanager (Thraupis glaucocolpa) R
- Synallaxis candei
We will take advantage of the morning to know the facilities and the birds that live there, this is a paradisiacal place surrounded by lots of nature and transparent water rivers, and amazing birds. This place has some native people vestiges which makes the visit much more interesting. In the afternoon we will go to Minca sector to start the ascent to El Dorado. We will spend the night at Guesthouse Sierra Sound.
The birds of the day are:
- Blue-billed Curassow (Crax alberti) E
- Lance-tailed Manakin (Chiroxiphia lanceolata)- R
- White-bearded Manakin (Manacus manacus)
- White-chinned Sipphire (Hylocharis cyanus)
- White-bellied Antbird (Myrmeciza logipes)
- White-necked Puffbird (Notharchus hyperrhynchus)
- Manacus manacus
After breakfast, we will visit the lower part of Minca known as Las Cabañas, it is an area with roads uncovered with fragments of forest very well preserved, the objetive is to arrive before 6 a.m. to see the flight of the green-military Guacamaya; After this event, we will visit the area where it is possible to see some anthills and hummingbirds. Then we will return to Minca to have lunch, then a little nap and in the afternoon we will start the ascent to El Dorado, a spectacular site with many birds, excellent service and a unique view of Santa Marta, we will look for some important birds in this tour.
The targets of the day are:
- Military Macaw (Ara militaris)- VU
- Black- crested Antshrike (Sakesphorus canadensis) -R
- Black-backed Antshrike (Thamnophilus melanonotus)- R
- Blue-ground Dove (Claravis pretiosa)- R
- Golden-winged Sparrow (Arremon schlegeli) – CE
- Scaled Piculet (Picumnus squamulatus)- R
- Santa Marta Foliage-Gleaner (Clibanornis rufipectus)- E
- Santa Marta Antbird (Drymophila hellmayri)- E
- Santa Marta Tapaculo (Scytalopus sanctamartae)- E
- Arremon schelegeli
This is perhaps the most spectacular day of the whole tour, for it is necessary to leave too early, because due to the ruggedness of the route, it will take us an hour and a half to find La Cuchilla of San Lorenzo, so at 4:30 a.m. we will start this day; As a reward the group will have the opportunity to appreciate the magnificent sunrise in the highest peaks of Colombia while about ten species of endemic birds will appear with the first rays, in the afternoon we will visit a sector known as Palo Alto, a little further down the Lodge , the target will be two hummingbirds considered as the most difficult in the area, the Rumbito and the copper Emerald. At night, we’ll try to find the Owl of Santa Marta.
The targets of the day are:
- Santa Marta Parakeet ( Pyrrhura viridicata) E
- Santa Marta Antpitta (Grallaria bangsi) E.
- Santa Marta Brush Finch (Atlapetes melanocephalus)- E
- Santa Marta Bush Tyrant (Myiotheretes pernix)- E
- Santa Marta Wood Wren (Henicorhina anachoreta)- E
- Santa Marta Warbler (Basileuterus basilisca)- E
- Santa Marta Mountain Tanager (Anisognathus melanogenys)- E
- Sierra Nevada Brush Finch (Arremon basiliscus)- E
- Santa Marta Woodstart (Chaetocercus astreans)- E
- Santa Marta Toucanet (Aulacorhynchus lautus)- E
- Yellow-crowned Whitestar (Myioborus flavivertex)- E
- Brown-rumped Tapaculo (Scytalopus latebricola)- E.
- Rusty-headed Spinetail (Synallaxis fuscorufa)- E
- Streak-headed Spinetail (Cranioleuca hellmayri)- CE.
- Black-backed Thornbill (Ramphomicron dorsale) E
- Atlapetes melanocephalus
We will have breakfast at 6 am and then the group will have free morning where they can be on the terrace taking pictures of Hummingbirds and Tangaras that arrive at the feeders and the neighboring trees, it is possible that the Black-winged Partridge appears, as well as the turkeys and terrestrial pigeons, after lunch we will proceed to prepare the luggage to start the descent, we will also make some stops to look for some birds that were not during the ascent or better views of some of them, in the afternoon we will arrive to Santa Marta and we will stay at the Sanha Plus hotel to rest and stay on the route to the Isla Salamanca Park.
The targets of the day are:
- Black-fronted Wood-Quail (Odontophorus atryfrons) – CE
- Red-billed Parrot (Pionus sordidus)– R
- Grey-headed Tanager (Eeucometis penicillata) – R
- Groove-billed Toucanet (Aulacorhynchus sulcatus)- R
- Rusty-breasted Antpitta (Grallaricula ferrugineipectus)- R
- One-color Becard (Pachyramphus homochrous)- R
- Odontophorus atrifrons
After breakfast We will have breakfast at 6 am then we will take the highway to Barranquilla, in about one and a half hour we will arrive to Isla de Salamanca Park, a sanctuary for life with forests where in the morning it is possible to observe a large number of birds, then we will have lunch there and in the afternoon, we’ll go to Barranquilla Airport to take the flight to Bogota in order to go back to their home country.
We hope to see some of the following birds:
- Sapphire-throated Hummingbird (Lapidopyga coeruleogularis)- R.
- Sapphire-bellied Hummingbird (Lepidopyga lilliae) – E
- Golden-green Woodpecker (Piculus chrysochloros) – R
- Northern Screamer (Chauna chavarria)- CE
- Bicoloured Conebill (Conirostrum bicolor)
- Northern Scrub Flycatcher (Sublegatus arenarum)
- Conirostrum bicolor
- Two birders: USD $4.290
- Three birders: USD $3.890
- Four birders: USD $3.590
- Five birders: USD $3.290
- Six birders: USD $2.890
- Seven birders: USD $2.590
- Eigth birders: USD $2.390
the tour includes
• Private vehicle -vans- or 4x4 (very comfortable) with air conditioning throughout the tour.
• Transfers Airport - Hotel - Airport
• National Fly Tickets
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner in all locations with an open menu according to the availability of the
• 2 daily snacks including 4 bottles of water, fruits, etc.
• All hotels included in the itinerary
• Eco-lodges within the nature reserves
• Tickets and taxes in all National Parks and Nature Reserves
• professional birdwatching guide throughout the tour.
• Local guides.
• Insurance of events for 16 days of travel in Colombia with the following coverage:
• Medical assistance for accidents up to COP $12.000.000
• Medical assistance for illness up to COP $3.000.000
• Ambulatory medications up to COP $250.000
• Dental expenses per accident up to COP $2.000.000
• Initial attention for pre-existences up to COP $200.000
• Medical expenses for maternal disease up to COP $200.000
• Medical transfers by accident
• Transfers and companion stay in case of accident up to COP $2.000.000
• Transfers and support person hosting due to accidental death up to COP $2.000.000
• Transfers of mortal remains up to COP $8.000.000
• Compensation for accidental death 24 hours per day COP $50.000.000
• Indemnity for accidental disability or dismemberment up to COP $50.000.000
• Compensation for accidental death in land, river or maritime transport COP $12.000.000
IT DOESN’T INCLUDE
- International flights and taxes
- Personal cleanliness items
- Laundry service
- Room service
- Tips and gratitudes
- Medical expenses not covered by the event policy
- Beers and alcoholic beverages
- Local, national or International calls.
- Extra activities not offered in the package
- Days or additional services for situations of force majeure, fortuitous event or events of third parties.