Being an area that was in conflict for a long time and which has been a little explored region, it gives us the possibility of registering new potential species in the area and increasing the records of the country.
It has unique ecosystems to make part of the Colombian massif, on the east it borders the Amazon, and on the west, it borders the Chocó, these places are considered high biodiversity.
BIRD’S TREASURE: PUTUMAYO
PERIOD: 11 days
- Cundinamarca: La Florida wetland, La Calera, Chicaque Natural Park
- Putumayo: Villa Garzón, Mocoa, San Joaquin, Trampolin de las Aves, Vereda. Campucana and Bordoncillo Vereda.
- Nariño: de la cocha lake.
- Cauca: Puracé National Natural Park
- Day 1 - Bogotá Arriving
- Day 2 - La Floridad Wetland
- Day 3 - La Calera - Villa Garzón
- Day 4 - Viewpoint
- Day 5 - San Joaquin
- Day 6 - La Campucana Vereda
- Day 7 - Valle de Sibundoy
- Dat 8 - Páramo de Bordoncillo Visit
- Day 9 - La Cocha Lagoon
- Day 10 - Cóndor Stone
- Day 11 - Way back to their home country
We pick up the group in the Dorado National airport by the agency logistics staff and they are transferred to the Hotel, it also includes dinner and then they can rest.
We start our first birding activity in La Florida wetland. In this place there are more than 40 different kind of birds, some of them endemic species and a significant number of migratory birds.
With our specialized guides you will find some special birds as:
- Bogotá Rail –E
- Apolinar´s Wren –E
- Silvery-throated Spinetail –E
- Rufous-browed Conebill – CE
- Grey-rumped Tapaculo CE
- Spot-flanked Gallinule
Breakfast. We´ll go to the Observatory of Hummingbirds in La Calera located at an altitude of 3000 meters, in this special place people will be able to appreciate and enjoy the birds group and other kind of hummingbirds which are difficult to find in their natural habitat. After the lunch, the group will go to the airport to take its flight to Villagarzon Putumayo, then the will go to Mocoa to 40 minutes from the airport, the hosting will be in the Suma Wasi Hotel in Mocoa.
The target birds of the day are:
- Coopery-bellied Puffleg (Eriocnemis cupreoventris)- CE
- Blue-throated Starfrontlet (Coeligena helianthea)- CE
- Glowing Puffleg (Eriocnemis vestita)- R
- Sword-billed Hummingbird (Ensifera ensifera)- R, Black-tailed Trainbearer (Lesbia victoriae)- R
- Green-tailed Trainbearer (Lesbia nuna) Great Sappirewing Hummingbird (Pterophanes cyanopterus)- R
- Tyrian Metaltail (Metallura tyrianthina)- R
It´s Located just to an hour from Mocoa at an altitude of 2200 meters, the access is by a busy road to reach a wooded area where good bird records have been made, this day we don’t have food service so we must take-away food, in the afternoon we go back to the Hotel on Mocoa, have dinner and go to rest.
The Target birds of the day are:
- Dusky Piha (Lipaugus fuscocinereus)- R,Black-billed Mountain Toucan (Andigena nigrirostris)- R
- Chestnut-eared Aracari (Pteroglossus castanotis)- R
- Rufous-breasted Flycatcher (Leptopogon rufipectus) CE
- Yellow-throated Tanager (Iridosornis analis), Golden-naped Tanager (Tangara ruficervix) CE
It´s located to an hour from Mocoa and at an altitude of 700 meters, this is a Native people settlement, in limits with the department of Cauca, the climate is variable and usually in the early morning hours there is presence of fog, this place has a good birds record. The route is a busy country road, we must take-away food and water. The tour will take about six hours but it depends of the weather conditions and the birds’ activity.
We will go back to Mocoa in the afternoon.
- Dusky Spinetail (Synallaxis moesta) – R
This beautiful place is located to 15 minutes from the Northwest of Mocoa, the transportation is done in 4×4 pick-up trucks, it is at an altitude of 900 meters above sea level, the weather is variable, usually in the early morning hours there is a fog. This road is known as Camino Real or Sachamates where our ancestors traveled in order to exchange their products and medicine to the high Putumayo and Nariño, we will visit relict forest and grassland, here predominates the secondary forest.
In the afternoon we will return to Mocoa, have dinner and go to rest.
The target of the days are:
- Black-streaked Puffbird (Malacoptila fulvogularis)- R
- Gilded Barbet (Capito auratus)- R
- Yellow-throated Toucan (Ramphastos ambiguos)
- Scaled Piculet (Picumnus squamulatus)- R,Foothill Antwren (Epinecrophylla spodionota) R
- Andean Cock of the Rock (Rupicola peruviana)- R
- Blackstreaked Puffbird – Malacoptila fulvogularis
This day we will start our birding day very early to Sibundoy, it will be done on the road to this town, this road is framed within beautiful and pristine forests with a variety of birds, there we will be walking different pathways and roadsides looking for very particular species. In the afternoon we will be arriving to Sibundoy to rest and continue the next day towards the “Páramo”. The hosting will be at the San Diego Hotel.
The target of the day are:
- White-rimmed Brush-Finch (Atlapetes leucopis)- CE
- Whitefronted-Nunbird (Monasa morpheus)- R
- Paradise Tanager (Tangara chilensis)- R
- Deep-blue Flowerpiercer (Diglossa glauca)- R
- Golden-eared Tanager (Tangara chrysotis)- R
- Opalcrowned Tanager (Tangara callophrys)- R
This beautiful wasteland, located to an hour from Sibunday, it is a wintry weather ecosystem at more than 3,000 meters of altitude, this one of the places which makes Colombia the largest number of trees in the world. The biodiversity in this area is highly special due to the adverse weather conditions, the number of bird species is reduced, however, the experience is gratifying because of the state of the forests and pathways. In the afternoon we will return and prepare for the last day in Putumayo. We will rest in Sibunday town.
The Targets of the day are:
- Masked Mountain Tanager (Buthraupis wetmorei)- R
- Golden-crowned Tanager (Iridosornis rufivertex)- R
- Chestnut-bellied Cotinga (Doliornis remseni)- R
- Yellow-breasted Brush-Finch (Atlapetes latinuchus)-R
After the breakfast at 6 o’clock we Will take the way to la Cocha lagoon where we will find a good amount of birds will be added to the trip list. The Cocha lagoon belongs to the department of Nariño. It has a total area of 39,000 hectares, which is why it is considered the largest wetland in the Colombian Andes. The natural ecosystems of La Cocha present high indexes of biodiversity and their “páramos” lodge a great variety of flora and fauna including several endemic species. In the afternoon we Will go to Pasto, we Will rest over there, and we´ll prepare to the last Colombian birding day in the south of the country. The hosting will be in Sindamanoy hotel in la Cocha lagoon.
The targets of the day are:
- Andean Gull (Chroicocephalus serranus)- R
- Yellow-billed Pintail (Anas georgica)- R
- Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola)-R
- Slate-colored Coot (Fulica ardesiaca)- R
On this last day, in morning we will travel to Popayán to take the flight to Bogota but before we will stop at the stone of the Condor where it is possible to appreciate the immensity and greatness of our national bird, the Condor of the Andes, this is one of the easiest places in Colombia to observe this giant bird of the sky, with this we hope to close with a flourish our tour of the south of the country, in an area full of surprises, a territory of peace where we never imagine that it were possible to go to visit to look for the wonders of this beautiful area of the country. Then we will arrive to Bogota and rest.
Our logistic staff will pick up the group in the hotel at the specific hour to help with the luggage and to transfer to the airport “El Dorado” to take their flight to their home country.
- Two birders: USD $3.790
- Three birders: USD $3.490
- Four birders: USD $3.290
- Five birders: USD $2.990
- Six birders: USD $2.690
- Seven birders: USD $2.490
- Eigth birders: USD $2.290
the tour includes
• Private vehicle -vans- or 4x4 (very comfortable) with air conditioning throughout the tour.
• Transfers Airport - Hotel - Airport
• National Fly Tickets
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner in all locations with an open menu according to the availability of the
• 2 daily snacks including 4 bottles of water, fruits, etc.
• All hotels included in the itinerary
• Eco-lodges within the nature reserves
• Tickets and taxes in all National Parks and Nature Reserves
• professional birdwatching guide throughout the tour.
• Local guides.
• Insurance of events for 16 days of travel in Colombia with the following coverage:
• Medical assistance for accidents up to COP $12.000.000
• Medical assistance for illness up to COP $3.000.000
• Ambulatory medications up to COP $250.000
• Dental expenses per accident up to COP $2.000.000
• Initial attention for pre-existences up to COP $200.000
• Medical expenses for maternal disease up to COP $200.000
• Medical transfers by accident
• Transfers and companion stay in case of accident up to COP $2.000.000
• Transfers and support person hosting due to accidental death up to COP $2.000.000
• Transfers of mortal remains up to COP $8.000.000
• Compensation for accidental death 24 hours per day COP $50.000.000
• Indemnity for accidental disability or dismemberment up to COP $50.000.000
• Compensation for accidental death in land, river or maritime transport COP $12.000.000
IT DOESN’T INCLUDE
- International flights and taxes
- Personal cleanliness items
- Laundry service
- Room service
- Tips and gratitudes
- Medical expenses not covered by the event policy
- Beers and alcoholic beverages
- Local, national or International calls.
- Extra activities not offered in the package
- Days or additional services for situations of force majeure, fortuitous event or events of third parties.