The geographical characteristics of the department of Valle del Cauca, Risaralda y Caldas count with one of the largest birdlife of the country, being the refuge of a handful of endemic species. Exploring some sectors of the western and central mountain range will surprise you with their beauty. The majesty of these three departments awaits the visit of nature lovers and birds’ watchers
PERIOD : 12 DAYS 11 NIGHTS
- Cundinamarca: La Florida wetland, La Calera, Chicaque Natural Park
- Valle del Cauca: Cali, Chicoral, Alejandria farm, Anchicaya, and Buga
- Risaralda: Pueblo Rico, MONTEZUMA RAIN FOREST & CLOUD FOREST, Tatama National Natural park, Otun Quimbaya Fauna and Flora Sanctuary.
- Caldas: Los Nevados National Natural Park, Alcazares Ecopark.
- Day 1 - Arrival to Bogotá
- Day 2 - La Florida Wetland
- Day 3 - Chicaque National Natural Park
- Day 4 - Bogotá - Cali - Chicoral and Alejandria
- Day 5 - Anchicayá and Guadalajara de Buga
- Day 6 - Guadalajara de Buga - Pueblo Rico (Risaralda)
- Day 7 - Montezuma Rain Forest & Cloud Forest Full Day
- Day 8 - Flora dn Fauna Otún Quimbaya Sanctuary
- Dat 9 - Los Nevados National Natural Park
- Day 10 - Rio Blanco Natural Reserve
- Day 11 - Ecoparque Alcazares
- Day 12 - Way back to their home country
With our specialized guides you’ll have the opportunity to find endemic birds such as:
- Bogotá Rail –E
- Apolinar´s Wren –E
- Silvery-throated Spinetail –E
Other almost endemic and unusual birds such as
- Rufous-browed Conebill CE
- Grey-rumped Tapaculo CE
- Spot-flanked Gallinule R.
This activity will be about six (6) hours in length depending on the climate conditions, when we finish the activity we’ll return at the hotel, have dinner and rest.
Accommodation alternatives according to availability:
- Whyndam Garden Hotel
- Hotel Movich
We’ll have breakfast at 06:00 am then we´ll to go to Soacha town, located on the south side of Bogotá. There are about 30 km from the city to the reserve, over there we will find an incomparable landscape located between 2,000 and 2,700 meters above sea level. It is a cloud forest area which has more than 300 hectares and where we will find the most representative pathway for birdwatching. We will have lunch in the shelter of the reserve, a good place to recharge our batteries and continue looking for our objective. The visit to this reserve will take us all day and we will return to Bogotá at approximately 5 pm. At night will have dinner at the hotel and rest.
We will have the opportunity to find the following birds:
- Indigo-capped Hummingbird (Amazilia cyanifrons) – E
- Golden-bellied Starfrontlet (Coeligena bonapartei)- CE
- Black Inca (Coeligena prunellei) – E
- Flame-faced Tanager (Tangara Parzudakii)
- Lined Quail Dove (Zentrygon linearis)
At the indicated time we will leave the hotel and our logistics team will transfer you to El Dorado Airport to take the flight to the city of Cali. We will travel from Cali to Chicoral in the town of Dapa to look for some birds typical of these forest ecosystems. Then we will go to Alexandria farm, a magical place with more than 20 species of hummingbirds and the coveted Tángara Multicolor, endemic bird of Colombia and also other 10 species of birds, visit the birds’ feeders of this farm, this area has more than 100 species of birds such as:
- Multicoloured Tanager (Chlorochrysa nitidissima)- E
- Ornate Eagle (Spizaetus ornatus) R
- Crested Quetzal (Pharomachrus antisianus) R
- Scaled Fruiteater (Ampelioides tschudii).
- Golden-naped Tanager (Tangara ruficervix) CE
- Saffron-crowned Tanager (Tanagara xanthocephala)
- Red-headed Barbet (Eubucco bourcierii)
- Blue-headed Sapphire (Hylocharis grayi)
- Booted Racket Tail (Ocreatus underwoodii)
- Crowned Woodnymph (Thalurania fannyi) entre otros.
We Will have lunch in Alejandria farm and when we finish we’ll go to Lolita farm where we’, have dinner and talk about the recommendations for the next day.
We will have breakfast at 5 o’clock and at 5:30 am we will depart to El Queremal, located in Dagua town on the old road to Buenaventura, we’ll visit the Anchicayá high sector to 55 Km, in this place there are adapted birds feeders and also largely almost intact forests with a huge list of birds to observe, this destination that borders Los Farallones National Natural Park will give us the opportunity to observe a large number of birds.
Here we will find birds such as:
- Black Solitaire (Entomodestes coracinus) CE
- Black-chinned Mountain Tanager (Anisognathus notabilis)- CE
- Toucan Barbet (Semnornis ramphastinus) CE
- .Empress Brilliant (Heliodoxa emperatrix)-CE
- Club-winged Manakin (Macheropterus deliciosus) CE
- Choco Toucan (Ramphastos brevis) CE
- Golden-chested Tanager (Bangsia rothschildi) CE
- Yellow-collared Chlorophonia (Chlorophonia flavirostris) CE
- Ochre-breasted Tanager (Chlorothraupis stolzmanni) CE
- Dusky-Bush Finch (Chlorospingus semifuscus) CE y muchos más.
In the afternoon we will leave the reserve and take the way to Guadalajara de Buga where we’ll spend the night, have dinner and rest.
- Moustached Puffbird – R
- Parker´s Antbird – E
- Violet-tailed Sylph- CE
- Velvet-purple Coronet- CE
- Purple-throated Woodstart –CE, entre otros
When we finish the activities of this day, we’ll go to Montezuma Hotel, Rainforest Lodge then we’ll have dinner and rest.
We will spend the full day in Montezuma. The Montezuma Hill is in Montebello village (jurisdiction of the Tatamá Natural National Park) ideal place to enjoy the experience of bird watching of high Andean forest, it is in this place where the Andes join with the Biogeographic Choco, a great reservoir of fauna and flora with unique ecosystems in the world, over there coexist more than 200 species of birds, of which 9 species are endemic and 14 are almost endemic birds.
The idea is finding on the top of the hill some birds such as:
- Chestnut-bellied Flowerpiercer (E- Diglossa gloriosissima)
- Munchique Wood-Wren – E.
- Beautiful Jay CE
- Gold-ringed Tanager – E
- Black and Gold Tanager – E
- Purple-mantled Tanager – CE
- Crested Ant-Tanager – E and many more.
We will have breakfast at 5:30 am, then the group will be until 9 a.m., to take advantage of the presence of hummingbirds and tanagaras that arrive at the feeders around the lodge; then we will move to the Otún Quimbaya Flora and Fauna Sanctuary in the town of Pereira, this place is located on the western flank of the Central mountain range, in the department of Risaralda, over there about 90% of the protected area corresponds to natural forests , its strategic location in the conservation area called the upper basin of the Otún River is cataloged as a rich area in biodiversity of endemic species of the sub-Andean foothill that hosts birds of high ornithological interest such as the Cauca guan that was believed to be extinct for more than 30 years, but it was rediscovered in this area, Umbrellabirds, tangaras (genus), euphonias, antbirds and Grallarias. These pathways are located between 1800 and 2400 meters above sea level.
The targets of the day are:
- Torrent Duck (Merganetta armata) – R
- Red-ruffed Fruitcrow (Pyroderus scutatus)– R
- Cauca Guan (Penelope perspicax) – E
- Stile´s Tapaculo (Scytalopus stilesi) E
- Parker´s Antbird (Cercomacroides parkeri) E
- Watled Guan (Aburria aburri) CA
- Moustached Antpitta (Grallaria Alleni) CE
- Collared Trogon (Trogon collaris)
In addition, in the reserve there is the largest Howler monkeys’ population, so maybe will find a group of these monkeys, or a tapir on the road surprised the group.
The services of guidance, food and accommodation are hired with the Yarumo Blanco community association, and accommodation will be taken at La Suiza Lodge, in the same reserve.
Here we will have the opportunity to find some birds such as:
Buffy Helmetcrest (E- Oxipogon stubelii).
- Tawny Antpitta – R
- Black-thigheg Puffleg – CE
- Golden-breasted Puffleg – CE
- Rainbow-bearded Thornbill – R
- Rufous-fronted Parakeet – E entre otras
The hosting and dinner will be at the Quo Hotel or Las Colinas Hotel.
We will have breakfast at 6 am and we will depart to Río Blanco Natural Reserve, located to 3 km from Manizales, which has an area of 4,932 cloud forests and it is between 2,150 and 3,700 meters above sea level. The visit to this place has the objetive to observe especially Grallarias and some birds of cloud forest. We will have in the nature reserve.
Some of the most important birds are:
- Brown-banded Antpitta – E
- Bicolored Antpitta – CE
- Chesnut-crowned Antpitta – R
- Slate-crowned Antpitta – R y otras como
- Black-billed Mountain Toucan – R
- Masked Saltator – R
- Buff-breasted Mountain Tanager – R
- Wedge-billed Hummingbird – R
- Chestnut Wood Quail- E entre muchas otras.
Accommodation alternatives according to availability
- Quo Hotel
- Las Colinas Hotel
We will have breakfast at 7 am and depart to Alcázares Ecopark or Cameguadua Reservoir. It is Located to 15 minutes from the city. It is an ideal place to bird watching, with access facilities and easy roads to travel, in this area located below 2000 meter above sea level we can find more than 140 species of birds of 34 families, among the most representative stand out, ( Gralaria Guatimalensis, Tanager vitriolina, Torito cabecirojo, Batara laughter, among others) that decorate the ecopark with its songs and colors. We will have lunch in Manizales.
Here we will look for birds such as:
- Grehish Piculet (E- Picumnus granadensis)
- Red-headed Barbet (R- Eubucco bourcierii)
- Chestnut-caped Brush-Finch (R- Buarremon brunneinucha)
- Slate-coloured Seedeater (R- Sporophila schistacea)
- Greyish saltator (R- Saltator caerulescens) entre otros.
At night we will take our flight from Manizalez to Bogota, then we’ll have dinner and go to rest.
Our logistic staff will pick up the group in the hotel at the specific hour to help with the luggage and to transfer to the International Colombian airport “El Dorado” to take their flight to their home country.
- Two birders: USD $4.100
- Three birders: USD $3.900
- Four birders: USD $3.700
- Five birders: USD $3.600
- Six birders: USD $3.100
- Seven birders: USD $2.799
- Eigth birders: USD $2.599
the tour includes
• Private vehicle -vans- or 4x4 (very comfortable) with air conditioning throughout the tour.
• Transfers Airport - Hotel - Airport
• National Fly Tickets
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner in all locations with an open menu according to the availability of the
• 2 daily snacks including 4 bottles of water, fruits, etc.
• All hotels included in the itinerary
• Eco-lodges within the nature reserves
• Tickets and taxes in all National Parks and Nature Reserves
• professional birdwatching guide throughout the tour.
• Local guides.
• Insurance of events for 16 days of travel in Colombia with the following coverage:
• Medical assistance for accidents up to COP $12.000.000
• Medical assistance for illness up to COP $3.000.000
• Ambulatory medications up to COP $250.000
• Dental expenses per accident up to COP $2.000.000
• Initial attention for pre-existences up to COP $200.000
• Medical expenses for maternal disease up to COP $200.000
• Medical transfers by accident
• Transfers and companion stay in case of accident up to COP $2.000.000
• Transfers and support person hosting due to accidental death up to COP $2.000.000
• Transfers of mortal remains up to COP $8.000.000
• Compensation for accidental death 24 hours per day COP $50.000.000
• Indemnity for accidental disability or dismemberment up to COP $50.000.000
• Compensation for accidental death in land, river or maritime transport COP $12.000.000
IT DOESN’T INCLUDE
- International flights and taxes
- Personal cleanliness items
- Laundry service
- Room service
- Tips and gratitudes
- Medical expenses not covered by the event policy
- Beers and alcoholic beverages
- Local, national or International calls.
- Extra activities not offered in the package
- Days or additional services for situations of force majeure, fortuitous event or events of third parties.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?